[Insight-users] LevelSetFunction / CurvesLevelSetFunction and minimal curvature

Luca Antiga luca.antiga at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 04:12:31 EDT 2008

Hi Michael,
  I'm not sure I agree with you, but to be sure one should reproduce
the cases in the paper and highlight the differences. Actually, it
would be nice to have them as a test.

If you consider Figure 3 and 6, taking the minimum signed curvature
as you suggest would result in a different treatment of the two sides
of the wiggles (with positive and negative curvatures respectively),
and the line would dramatically change its cross section during the
evolution, which I don't think it's what happens (and I don't think
it would be desirable either). Similarly, at bifurcations, you would
keep moving the bifurcation apex away from the bifurcation trying to
lower its negative curvature.
In general, you would invariably move the inner side of a wiggle, and
never the outer side.

You indeed get some change in the cross section in the extreme case
in Figure 3, but I don't think this results as the evolution of the
surface along signed minimal curvature, but rather as the progressive
flattening of the low curvature region at the corners within the
plane where two tubes meet. I must say, however, that what happens to
curvatures during the evolution is often tricky to figure out by just
looking at screenshots.

I might be wrong, so it would be great if you took the effort of
reproducing the cases. If it turns out that the cases in the paper
work as you suggest, we could add a flag to control which kind of
minimal curvature to choose (signed or absolute) and default it to
absolute, to preserve backwards compatibility.

Last, minimal principal curvature is defined with sign in
differential geometry (the way you suggest). The paper never mentions
"minimal principal curvature", but "smaller principal
curvature" (which is admittedly not very informative).

By for now

Luca