[Insight-users] Example ImageRegistration8

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jul 9 09:28:26 EDT 2008

Hi Ines,

A displacement of 26 pixels in both X and Y is a mayor shift,
this is unlikely to be corrected without using multi-resolution.   :-/

Here are two suggestions:

  A) Please build the example in InsightApplications:

          InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk/
                     itkRegisterITKMonitorVTK.cxx

     and run it on your two datasets.

     This example will show you the progress of the registration
     by using VTK surface renderings of your images. In this way
     you will know what is happening in 3D during the intermediate
     steps of the registration.

     BTW: What is the content of your images ?
          The surface extraction is simply using iso-surfaces,
          since they are only for the purpose of visualizing
          the progress of the registration.

AND/OR

B) Start your experiment with a displacement smaller than 26 pixels.

    E.g start with only 5 pixels only in X and see if the registration
    code can correct for it. If the registration succes, then start the
    experiment again with a larger misregistration... and so on. In this
    way you will identify the capture radius of the metric for your
    particular image.

    BTW: Please not that the registration process is done in physical
         units, not pixels.

         What is the pixel spacing of your images ?

         How are you passing that "26 pixels" displacement to the
         registration method ?

   Please let us know what you find.