[Insight-users] Failed to allocate memory

Jinkoo Kim jkim3 at hfhs.org
Wed Jul 9 11:08:39 EDT 2008

Hi Jewel,

Image size may be too big:

two input images: 340MB x 2 = 680 MB
deformation vector field (float): 340MB x 1 x 2 (=float/short ratio) = 680MB

==> 1360MB

if you are using three levels
==> 1360MB + 760MB/8(=170MB) +760MB/8/8(=21MB) = 1550MB

Including intermediate memories, like addtional vector fields (1360MB) for data swapping, smoothing, gradient calculation... I would say the program need more than 2GB.

Regards,
Jinkoo

>>> "zhihong hu" <zhihonghu21 at hotmail.com> 3/16/2008 10:08 AM >>>
Dear All

I am trying to register two sheep lung images by using Demons Deformable Registration. The images are 3 dimensional and each is about 339MB. The image format is Analyze file format.

I have tried 3 different programms. One is DeformableRegistration2.cxx from the ITK Software Guide. I also tried Diffeomorphic Demons by Tom Vercauteren group and Thirion Demons by Hans Jonson group in the University of Iowa.
When I registered the images, all have shown the problem that " Failed to allocate memory". I tried a few computers both in linux and under windows. The computer memory should be in GB.

However, I also tried some small images and all works well.

I am a newer in image processing. I can not figure out the problem. Is it possible the memory allocation method does not work for the large images? Please help me. Thanks.

Jewel from University of Iowa

Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes. Enter for your chance to win.
http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/ZuneADay/?locale=en-US&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Mobile_Zune_V3

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email contains information from the sender that may be CONFIDENTIAL, LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY or otherwise protected from disclosure. This email is intended for use only by the person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, copying, distribution, printing, or any action taken in reliance on the contents of this email, is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sending party by reply email, delete the email from your computer system and shred any paper copies.

Note to Patients: There are a number of risks you should consider before using e-mail to communicate with us. See our Privacy Policy and Henry Ford My Health at www.henryford.com for more detailed information. If you do not believe that our policy gives you the privacy and security protection you need, do not send e-mail or Internet communications to us.