[Insight-users] Radionuclides therapy : FFT / FFTW and Licensing

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jul 10 08:39:05 EDT 2008

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for letting us know that your application
is working well.

I'm guessing that your question refers to Licensing,
is that right ?

If so, the situation is the following:

1) ITK is distributed under an OSI-approved BSD license.

    You are allowed to copy, modify and distribute ITK,
    for any purpose, including commercial purposes.

    You can use ITK in commercial applications without
    having to pay royalties to the Insight Software
    Consortium.

2) The ITK FFT filters can take advantage of the fftw library.

    This library is distributed under the GPL License.
    http://www.fftw.org/fftw2_doc/fftw_8.html

    If you build applications using fftw, then your
    code is considered to be derivative work from fftw
    and you are subject to distribute the source code
    of your application under a GPL license *IF* you
    distribute the application.

It is great that you are now an expert on Fourier analysis,
we look forward to see you assisting other users in the
ITK mailing list   :-)

Please let us know if you have further questions,