[Insight-users] Registering Low Contrast Images

Vikren Sarkar vikmonster at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 17 23:09:05 EDT 2008

Greetings,

I had posted a question a while back about intensity-based registration for low-contrast images. Thank you Luis for providing some pointers. You had requested I post example images so that you and the rest of the community might suggest what metrics are best suited to try to do automatic registration. I was waiting until I was able to create my own images before I posted them. The following links show two images, one which is rotated 5 degrees with respect to the other (rotation about the image center).

http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/view/full/1600023_zwyje http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/view/full/1600024_ujxkr

These images are part of 3D-tomographic datasets. I chose the two corresponding slices that showed the most contrast to post as an example. All other images have even less contrast than shown here.

Bearing in mind that I am new to ITK, I was wondering whether someone could suggest a metric that would be good for automatically registering two 3D datasets of such images. I would be happy to post the full image-sets if that would be more helpful. I am trying to determine the shifts in the three axes as well as rotations about each axis.

Any help that anybody can provide will be much appreciated.