[Insight-users] Intensity-based registration with low contrast images.

Rupert Brooks rupe.brooks at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 11:33:15 EDT 2008

Hi Vikren,

I see Luis just beat me to it!   I just ran an ITK based registration
on these images, using the NormalizedCorrelation Metric, and obtained
a good registration.  As Luis did, I also had to crop off the black
border.

I got these parameters to map using a translation transform from the
fixed image to the moving image. 12.3474 -4.05349
This appears reasonable to me, but i didnt spend too long looking at
it.  I was also able to get a similar result with
MattesMutualInformation, using 50 bins.  (i didnt try other numbers of
bins)

Because the images are low contrast i would suggest that you be
careful not to lose data along the way.  So, avoid compressed formats
like JPG, and avoid converting to 8-bit if the original images are in
16bit. (Probably you just converted to 8-bit compressed for posting
anyway.)

Because mutual information uses an evenly spaced set of histogram
bins, these images might be more difficult to register with MI.  It
worked when i tried it, but i am almost certain its just registering
the fairly bright head, to the dark background, and not actually using
any of the detail inside.  In any case, if these images are
representative of your problem, i think MI is unnecessary.

Cheers,
Rupert B.