[Insight-users] Fuzzy K-means clustering

Anja Ende anja.ende at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 24 03:30:16 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

I want to use the K-means classifier to do some segmentation. I want
to classify my image into just 2 different classes (fluid and fat). I
already have a fluid suppressed MR images and the fat voxels are
supposed to be bright. I want to use an automatic segmentation method
to do the job.

I tried the Otsu segmentation which gives decent results some of the
time but I would like to improve it and was thinking of trying other
algorithms to see if I can improve it.

My questions are:
- Is the k-means classifier in ITK an implementation of the fuzzy
k-means clustering? If no, is there an implementation of the fuzzy
k-means classifier in ITK.
- If I use the k-means classifier with the idea of only dividing the
image up into 2 classes... Is it the same as doing an Otsu
segmentation?

I have a pretty urgent requirement regarding this and any help from
some segmentation experts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Anja