[Insight-users] LSM Reader in ITK / VTK - bio-formats

Dan White white at mpi-cbg.de
Wed Jul 30 05:54:24 EDT 2008

Hi Gaetan,

thanks for the heads up on the wrap ITK / bio-formats news,
that's very interesting for us in the BioImageXD project!

Speed might be an issue. I notice that the C++ lsm reader
we made is probably  faster than the bio-formats java reader for lsm.

(not sure if a direct comparison can easily be made...
but seems for for big files when i open the same one in BioImageXD
and bio-formats importer in imageJ)

Certainly, efforts in the direction of improved performance and
compatibility
of Bio-formats and VTK/ITK are the best way to go
for VTK/ITK to be able to read the vast multitude of image data formats
from biology / microscopy, and also read the meta data properly.

I hope we at the BioImageXD project have some time in the future to
help out with that,
as its in out direct interest to use bio-formats instead of
implementing custom readers for all those diverse file formats.

As for Zeiss using horrible MS dependent formats... I have raised the
issue with them
many times... and they understand the problem... but they are a big
and sometimes
very  cautiously moving company.
I don't expect them to adopt and open standard format
as their own standard file format very quickly, even though their
users are repeatedly asking for it.
They have always been open with the documentation for their file
formats,
which is great, and much appreciated by 3rd party developers,
but thats not the same as using a sane open standard format like OME-
XML.

cheers

Dan

dan at chalkie.org.uk