[Insight-users] deformation field from image registration (beginner question)

Ramesh ITK itk.ramesh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 16:13:00 EDT 2008

I'm trying to obtain the deformation field between a fixed image and a
moving image using ITK and I'm having trouble trying to read/view the output
field.

The moving image is of a deformed object where different regions have
different transformations (like in an inhomogeneous material).

I tried using the example code - DeformableRegistration5.cxx and the given
data files (RatLungSlice1 & 2)
It let me save the deformation field only in vtk or mhd/mha format.
How do I obtain the vector of displacements over the region?

Paraview crashes when I try to open the mha file.
When I try the mhd file it fails and gives the following message.
*ERROR: In
c:\berk\releasebuilds\paraview3\vtk\common\vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx, line
133
vtkFloatArray (05B871A8): Unable to allocate 1858633728 elements of size 4
bytes. *
It also displays that the zrange is from -nan to nan

I also tried reading the *.raw  files using what was mentioned in
http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2003-December/005865.html but
that didn't help much.

I'm not sure about the following things-
Am I using the right example code to do what I am looking for?
Does ITK give the vector displacement field for registration between two
images (with different transformation matrices at different regions)?
Can the displacement field be output directly as a text file instead of a
visual format?

I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Ramesh