[Insight-users] crashes N-D Linear Time Exact Signed Euclidean Distance Transform

Oleksandr Dzyubak adzyubak at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 17:47:22 EDT 2008

Dear Bill,

Over weekend with help of a cup of nice strong doppio espresso
I had a chance to thoroughly repeat the tests again.

Now I write the detailed step-by-step report of what I have done.

1) Wiped all the libraries out in case that some libs are mixed and
affect the results.
2) Compiled and installed a new CVS version Insight_CVS_Jun_20_2008.tar.gz

3) Compiled the itkSignedMaurerDistanceMapImageFilterTest.cxx code from
"Insight/Testing/Code/BasicFilters/itkSignedMaurerDistanceMapImageFilterTest.cxx"

4) Used the image from "Insight/Testing/Data/Input/SquareBinary201.png"
which works fine.
5) Converted SquareBinary201.png to SquareBinary201.hdr (Analyze75) that
works fine too.

Summary.
Original version from "Insight/Testing/Code/BasicFilters" works fine for
2D case
with both  *.png and Analyze75 image formats. The output images are
identical.

Now go for 3D case.
So in the original code I changed the image dimension line as below.

********** Begin Code Snippet ****
// const unsigned int      ImageDimension = 2;
 const unsigned int      ImageDimension = 3;
  typedef int             InputPixelType;
  typedef double          OutputPixelType;
********** End Code Snippet ****

Since all my images are Analyze75 short (16 bits), I will use this
format whenever it is possible.
So running the 3D version on 2D image SquareBinary201.hdr gives an error
below.

*****Begin Error********
dzyubak at debian: /Images$ ./SignedMaurerDistanceMapImageFilterTest
SquareBinary201.hdr t.hdr
SignedMaurerDistanceMapImageFilterTest:
/usr/local/include/InsightToolkit/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/vnl_vector.h:168:
T& vnl_vector<T>::operator()(unsigned int) [with T = double]: Assertion
`i<size()' failed.
Aborted
*********End Error*******

Well, as you said earlier, 3D version does not like running on 2D images
so lets make simple 3D image from the data set available from Insight
ToolKit.

1) For example, lets take "Insight/Testing/Data/Input/mri3D.mhd" and
convert it
to the Analyze75 format using the InsightApplications utility
"ConvertBetweenFileFormats".
For simplicity I preserve the original mri3D.mhd pixel type.

dzyubak at debian: /Input$ ./ConvertBetweenFileFormats mri3D.mhd mri3D.hdr

2) Now segment the input image and make an output binary image
using the "Insight/Examples/Filtering/BinaryThresholdImageFilter.cxx" code
with some lines changed.

********** Begin Code Snippet ****
//  typedef  unsigned char  InputPixelType;
//  typedef  unsigned char  OutputPixelType;

  typedef  unsigned short  InputPixelType;
  typedef  unsigned short  OutputPixelType;

//  typedef itk::Image< InputPixelType,  2 >   InputImageType;
//  typedef itk::Image< OutputPixelType, 2 >   OutputImageType;

  typedef itk::Image< InputPixelType,  3 >   InputImageType;
  typedef itk::Image< OutputPixelType, 3 >   OutputImageType;
********** End Code Snippet ****

dzyubak at debian: /Tmp$ ./BinaryThresholdImageFilter mri3D.hdr
mri3D_bin.hdr 60 200 0 255

3) And finally calculate EDT.

dzyubak at debian: /Images$ ./SignedMaurerDistanceMapImageFilterTest
mri3D_bin.hdr mri3D_bin_EDT.hdr

SignedMaurerDistanceMapImageFilterTest:
/usr/local/include/InsightToolkit/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/vnl_vector.h:168:
T& vnl_vector<T>::operator()(unsigned int) [with T = double]: Assertion
`i<size()' failed.
Aborted

4) One more test.
There is a submission to the Insight Journal

http://insight-journal.org/midas/handle.php?handle=1926/196

"A Generalized Squared Euclidean Distance Transform with Voronoi Maps"

that can also calculate EDT plus it comes with the binary input images
in Analyze75 format
bigDataset.hdr; mediumDataset.hdr; smallDataset.hdr; square.hdr.

Lets make a test using those images.
If I run SignedMaurerDistanceMapImageFilterTest on those images,
I am also getting the same error as above.

5) Did I mention that it does not work with my Analyze75 images at all?

6) If I covert the Analyze75 images to DICOM, it still gives me the
error above.

What is wrong?

Thanks for your help,

Alex