[Insight-users] Gradient Difference Metric

Aviv Hurvitz aviv.hurvitz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 03:49:51 EDT 2008

Hi Dan,

Thanks, I've been using ITK for a while now and I didn't know about this
feature of optimizers.

All the metrics I know in ITK go "down". There was no special documentation,
so that's what I expected. For comparison, the Mutual Information metric,
which is something you want to maximize, is actually minimized by the
framework.

I think people shouldn't use the metric like you suggest. Defaults are
important if you want the registration metric to be modular
("plug-and-play").

Please try to imagine the typical user experience with this metric. It is
EXTREMELY frustrating, because you have to play around with many
optimization parameters before you either debug it or give up. Who knows how
many users went down the path Sven and I went before giving up? I know of at
least two more users who gave up.

So for future reference, I still classify this bug as really "huge".

Kind regards,

- Aviv