[Insight-users] medial curve extraction compile error

Oleksandr Dzyubak adzyubak at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:28:40 EDT 2008

Dear Xavier,

I still cannot make the algorithm work. It does not extract the centerline.
What am I doing wrong?

To make my tests simple, I made a 3D cylinder extruded along Z axis
(just one vessel)
and work with that binary image (Object white, background black. Should
it be vice versa?).
I have tried several DT algorithms from the ITK lib (Danielsson, Maurer,
and "Generalized DT").
As you advised, I made a signed distance transform on the images with
negative sign inside.

You say that DT should be "with positive sign outside the object, and
negative sign inside."
So it has to be "zero-crossing at the object edge" then, right?
Has the cylinder to be solid or just a surface before DT?

Concerning the parameters sigma and threshold.
"Usage example" suggests  sigma=1.0 and threshold=0.0.
In the code the defaults are sigma=0.5 and threshold=0.0.
How sensitive are they to variations?

Thanks,

Alex