[Insight-users] What are the ._vnl_*.cxx files?

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Fri Mar 28 10:35:58 EDT 2008

Hello Luis,

	The "._" in the prefix is an important part. After looking at it
again, it appears to be a binary file that was some how generated
because I downloaded the tar ball with Safari. There actually appear
to be one for every file extracted from the tar ball. I think it must
be a security thing. I just upgraded to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, must be
a new "feature". And I am running " cmake version 2.4-patch 7".

	My guess would be that the CMake is trying to get *.cxx file for that
directory and it a added in these files which aren't suppose to be
there.

	I just deleted the offending ones and it is working and passed the
tests.

Thanks,
Brad

On Mar 27, 2008, at 4:25 PM, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>

>             These files contain C++ code.
>

> The files contain explicit instantiations of VNL templated classes.
>

>         1) What platform are you using for building ITK ?
>
>         2) What tarball did you downloaded ?
>            What ITK version ?
>            What tarball extension ?
>
>         3) What version of CMake are you using ?
>
>         3) What compiler are you using ?
>

> Please let us know
>

>  Thanks
>

>    Luis
>

> -----------------------
> Bradley Lowekamp wrote:
>> I just downloaded the latest tar-balls yesterday and tried building
>> ITK, and it's choking on some odd files. There are down in vxl/core/
>> */*/Templates/ and of the form ._vnl*-.cxx. The build process was
>> choking on them. They appear to be binary files, and not CXX code.
>> So I just deleted them and it seem to build right up (rebuilding
>> now with tests). What's up with these files, should they be there?
>> Is CMake suppose to exclude them? Perhaps my CMake is too old?

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for
National Library of Medicine
blowekamp at mail.nih.gov