[Insight-users] looking for IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 22(11):1417-1426

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon May 12 09:35:33 EDT 2008

Hi Peter,

Since you have been a great contributor to ITK we do care about you
and your well-being.

          Hence, here is a word of friendly advice:

The copyright of Papers published in IEEE Journal, is usually held
by IEEE. There are (to my knowledge) only four legal ways of obtaining
copies of a paper published in an IEEE Journal or Conference:

1) Be subscribed to the Journal
2) Be a member of an institution that have paid for an institution-wide
    license to IEEE
3) Buy the paper (more precisely: buy a personal license to a copy
    of the paper) from IEEE Xplore
4) Be the author of the paper

Note that there is a gray and dangerous loophole in IEEE rules for
electronic documents: Authors, are allowed to post in their
institutional web sites the PDF version of the papers they have
published in IEEE Journal, and for which they have already transfer
the copyright to IEEE... *BUT*... no specific license is given by
IEEE to any reader for downloading such papers.  :-)

The result is that the author can still display (what used to be)
her/his paper, BUT that any unfortunate bystander that comes across
and download the paper will commit copyright infringement. Therefore,
please beware that even if you find this paper in the author's web
site. When you click in that link and download the paper, you are
committing a crime and can be prosecuted as a felon.

Downloading a PDF file of a copyrighted material without permission
is as illegal as downloading a copyrighted MP3 file without permission.

For discussion on why copyright doesn't makes any sense in scientific
publishing please refer to:
http://www.nature.com/nature/debates/e-access/Articles/stallman.html
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/push-copyright-aside.html

To put is short:
Scientist do not receive revenue from publishing a paper, and therefore
a monopoly on the copy and distribution of content does not provide any
incentive for scientist to publish.

I'll be happy to hear that IEEE is now paying authors for their rights
when they sign a copyright transfer agreement, or that authors are being
paid royalties on the sales of journal subscriptions and licenses,
but... I'm afraid that this is not yet the case.

It will be a great loss for ITK if you end up being sued by IEEE for
copyright infringement. We rather have your brain dedicated to write
code and algorithms than worried dealing with senseless legal disputes.

    Best Regards

      Luis