[Insight-users] Question about segmentation techniques in ITK Snap

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed May 14 09:36:55 EDT 2008

Hi Jurgen,

You may find useful to read the SNAP tutorial at:

    http://www.itksnap.org/docs/viewtutorial.php

and to look at the related publications:

          http://www.itksnap.org/manual.php

Note that Level Sets are (arguably) a region growth method.

Usually when we talk about region growing we are referring
to methods such as ConfidenceConnected or ThresholdConnected.

A "grep" inspection of the SNAP source code reveals the
following:

     a) ConfidenceConnected is not available
     b) ConnectedThreshold is not available

A more specific grep brings the following:

$ grep -ir LevelSet * | grep include | grep "\<itk"
Logic/LevelSet/SNAPLevelSetDriver.cxx:#include
"itkNarrowBandLevelSetImageFilter.h"
Logic/LevelSet/SNAPLevelSetDriver.cxx:#include
"itkParallelSparseFieldLevelSetImageFilter.h"
Logic/LevelSet/SNAPLevelSetDriver.txx:#include
"itkNarrowBandLevelSetImageFilter.h"
Logic/LevelSet/SNAPLevelSetDriver.txx:#include
"itkParallelSparseFieldLevelSetImageFilter.h"
Logic/LevelSet/SNAPLevelSetFunction.h://#include "itkLevelSetFunction.h"
Logic/LevelSet/SNAPLevelSetFunction.h:#include
"itkSegmentationLevelSetFunction.h"
Logic/LevelSet/SNAPLevelSetStopAndGoFilter.h:#include
"itkSparseFieldLevelSetImageFilter.h"
Testing/TestCompareLevelSets.cxx:#include
"itkSparseFieldLevelSetImageFilter.h"
Testing/TestCompareLevelSets.cxx:#include
"itkParallelSparseFieldLevelSetImageFilter.h"
Testing/TestCompareLevelSets.cxx:#include
"itkNarrowBandLevelSetImageFilter.h"
UserInterface/BasicComponents/SnakeParametersPreviewPipeline.cxx:#include
"itkParallelSparseFieldLevelSetImageFilter.h"
UserInterface/BasicComponents/SnakeParametersPreviewPipeline.cxx:#include
"itkNarrowBandLevelSetImageFilter.h"

To summarize, the methods are implemented directly from
the base LevelSet filters in ITK.

Note that it doesn't mean that methods such as Geodesic active contours
are not available. What it means is that they are implemented as special
cases of the generic Level Set equation.

The run-time help of SNAP will actually show you what terms of the
equation you are setting in every case.