[Insight-users] ITK on Cell Broadband Engine

Blezek, Daniel J., Ph.D. Blezek.Daniel at mayo.edu
Wed May 14 10:15:02 EDT 2008

Hi Daniele,

  We are still exploring how best to use the Cell.  In general, the PPU
is a little underpowered, but will still run ITK very well, and the
SPU's can be used for the "heavy lifting".

I think you will have the best success modifying the MultiThreader to
run on the SPU, this is the mode we currently work in.  However, the
overhead of C++ burdens the limited local cache of each SPU, so we also
write very tiny C routines for the processing.  In principle, this model
fits very well with ITK, but requires re-writing inner loops.  You could
try to run ITK directly on the SPU, but I think you will end up swaping
overlays in and out.

Best regards,
-dan