[Insight-users] itkGaussianOperator and a warning message

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri May 16 17:11:31 EDT 2008

Hi Mauro

                  Two options:

A) The right thing to do:

        a) Increase your MaximumKernelWidth or
        b) Increase your Error tolernace or
        c) Reduce your variance

     Until the combination matches the class
     criteria.

B) The wrong thing to do:

            "Kill the Messenger"

    That is, turn off the error message, hope that
    everything will go well, and that nobody will
    die as a consequence.

    You can turn off the message by any of the
    following two methods:

         a) in the itkGaussianOperator call the
            method:

             ->SetGlobalWarningDisplay(false);

         or

         b) Connect a FileOutputWindow and send the
            messages to "/dev/null"

            you can do this with the following code

           #include "itkFileOutputWindow.h"

           itk::FileOutputWindow::Point window =
                       itk::FileOutputWindow::New()

           itk::OutputWindow::SetInstance( window );

           window->SetFileName("/dev/null");

Of course,
We strongly encourage you to do the right thing: (A)   :-)

That warning that you are getting is not just an annoyance...

It is telling you that you are doing something wrong,
because the kernel that you compute is not a proper
approximation of a Gaussian.