[Insight-users] Making ITK dlls with Visual Studio

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun May 18 09:52:26 EDT 2008

Hi Pedro,

The basic step is to replace

   ADD_EXECUTABLE(GradientImageFilter   GradientImageFilter.cxx)

with

   ADD_LIBRARY(GradientImageFilter  SHARED GradientImageFilter.cxx)

in your CMakeLists.txt file.

However, in addition to that, you need to add an explicit instantiation
for the type in the .cxx file, add the EXPORT symbol, and provide a
mechanism for checking versions when you load the DLL.

All of this is illustrated in the VolViewPlugins directory in
InsightApplications:

       InsightApplications/VolViewPlugins