[Insight-users] Fwd: Compiler issue on Solaris

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu May 22 18:11:00 EDT 2008

Hi Oscar,

The two common problems in Solaris are:

  1) The use of a broken "tar" tool.

  2) A mixture between the CC and GCC development environments.

Since you are missing files, it is more likely that case (1)
is the actual source of the problem.

Sun opted for distributing a broken tar tool in order to
support backward compatibility.

    Question:     How did you downloaded ITK ?

Did you take the tar.gz file and extracted it in Solaris ?

We generate the tar.gz files using the GNU tar tool,
and these files can not be extracted with the SUN tar tool.

You may want to try using CVS to checkout a particular
branch of ITK, for example ITK-3-4 or ITK-3-6.

    Please let us know what you find,

----------------------
Oscar Meruvia wrote:

 > Hello Luis,
 >
 > For some reason the mail below cannot make it through the insight
users list, so after waiting for moderator approval for some weeks, i am
trying sending this directly to you. I am confused about the bouncing of
my initial posting, since I am getting all the mails of the
insight-users list.

<mailto:omeruvia.ucalgary at googlemail.com>>
 > Date: Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 7:41 PM
 > Subject: Compiler issue on Solaris
 > To: insight-users at itk.org <mailto:insight-users at itk.org>
 >

 > Hello,
 >
 > When trying to compile the itk for Solaris I am getting the following
error:

 > Linking CXX executable ../../bin/DeformableRegistration12
 > vnl_unary_function<double, vnl_vector<double> >::get_range_min()
const/export/home/omeruvia/downloadedInstallers/ItkBin4/bin/libITKNumerics.a(itkSingleValuedVnlCostFunctionAdaptor.o)
 > vnl_unary_function<double, vnl_vector<double> >::get_range_max()
const/export/home/omeruvia/downloadedInstallers/ItkBin4/bin/libITKNumerics.a(itkSingleValuedVnlCostFunctionAdaptor.o)
 > ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
../../bin/DeformableRegistration12
 > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
 > make[2]: *** [bin/DeformableRegistration12] Error 1
 > make[1]: ***
[Examples/Registration/CMakeFiles/DeformableRegistration12.dir/all] Error 2
 > make: *** [all] Error 2
 >

 > The closest related thread that I found in the mailing list was:
 >
 > http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/insight-users/2007-June/022526.html
 >
 > But then no answer followed...
 >
 > I have checked and I am running the following version of make:
 > GNU Make 3.80
 > Copyright (C) 2002  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
 >
 > For the compilers, I have the following
 > gcc (GCC) 3.4.3 (csl-sol210-3_4-branch+sol_rpath)
 >
 > g++ (GCC) 3.4.3 (csl-sol210-3_4-branch+sol_rpath)
 >

 >  I will typically get
 >
 >  CMake Error: Cannot find source file

"/export/home/omeruvia/downloadedInstallers/InsightToolkit-3.6.0/Testing/Code/
 >  Common/itkSymmetricEllipsoidInteriorExteriorSpatialFunctionTest.cxx" for
 >  target "itkCommonTests2"
 >
 >  Tried extensions .c .C .c++ .cc .cpp .cxx .m .M .mm .h .hh .h++ .hm
.hpp .hxx
 >  .in .txx
 >
 >  CMake Error: Cannot find source file

"/export/home/omeruvia/downloadedInstallers/InsightToolkit-3.6.0/Testing/Code/

BasicFilters/itkBloxBoundaryPointImageToBloxBoundaryProfileImageFilterTest.cxx