[Insight-users] RELEASE SCHEDULE for ITK 3.8

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Sat May 24 02:49:46 EDT 2008

2008/5/23 Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com>:
> Regarding new classes and algorithms to be moved from the
> Insight Journal, we would like to hear your feedback from
> the list that was drafted (but not executed) for ITK 3.6:
>
> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_Schedule#Contributions_from_IJ

Here are my personal thoughts on selected papers:

The Digital Topology paper (the highest priority candidate) addresses
a popular area currently lacking in ITK: n-D skeletonization. It has
received 6 reviews to date (most are positive), however the author has
to date not released a new version addressing these concerns. I would
definitely like to see these concerns abated (either by the author or
Shepard) before inclusion in the toolkit (it is very easy to cause
segmentation faults with the current code). That said, I would
definitely like to see this feature added to the toolkit.

The following papers are listed in the "30 most downloaded papers" but
are currently not under consideration:
 # Vessel Enhancing Diffusion Filter, 4 quite positive reviews
 # Efficient implementation of kernel filtering, 2 reviews
 # Label object representation and manipulation with ITK, 2 reviews

Also, I think the following papers can be removed from the list (they
are already in the Review folder):
 # Optimizing ITK's Registration Methods for Multi-processor,
Shared-Memory Systems
 # Binary morphological closing and opening image filters
Should I edit the Wiki page to reflect this?

I think the "download statistics" view of the Insight Journal has
great potential. It may be possible to replace the static list
maintained by hand on the Wiki page with this dynamic view. It would
be great if we could sort/filter the journal articles based on:
popularity (number of downloads/views), current rating, number of
(human) reviewers, and number of reviews responded to by author. In
this way we could say: "Show me all the papers with X or more human
reviewers, in which the author has responded to each review, and sort
by number of downloads and current rating, and hide those already
included in the toolkit. The top Y papers will be included in release
Z.Z." This might encourage both users/reviewers and authors to
participate more fully in the concept -- author's who want their code
included must respond to comments, and users who want the code
included must write reviews. It also saves manually editing the
ITK_Release_Schedule Wiki page.

On a side note, it would be nice if when you clicked on a paper in the
download_statistics list it takes you to the view_reviews page, rather
than the view_publication page (or a least a link added to the
view_publication page which takes you to the view_reviews page).

BTW: Is the code for the Insight Journal open source? Does the Journal
practice what it preaches? If the code was available it might be
possible for others (like myself) to make these suggested changes
(although I am aware this is a slippery slope). Otherwise is there a
Wiki page describing the process for becoming involved? I notice the
Admistration/To-Do List is quite long...

Regards, Dan