[Insight-users] Dashboard maintainers please enable ITK_LEGACY_SILENT

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed May 28 16:05:25 EDT 2008

Hi Sean,

I'm glad that you asked.

My apologies for missing to fully explain this.

We indeed want these warnings to appears to users when
they attempt to use methods that we have identified as
deprecated.

    BUT

We don't want the Nightly submissions to display these
(normal) warnings, because they shadow other warnings
that we actually want to fix (and can fix).

If we allow the Dashboard submissions to display the
legacy warnings then we will never be able to have a
green Dashboard (unless we actually remove the deprecated
methods).

---

Our current solution is:

ITK_LEGACY_SILENT is OFF by default in the top CMakeLists.txt
file of ITK, to make sure that users get warnings when they use
deprecated methods.

Administrators of machines submitting Nightly and Continues builds
to the ITK Dashboard should turn ITK_LEGACY_SILENT ON to make possible
to see other non-normal warnings.

----

Normal users should have:

           ITK_LEGACY_SILENT = OFF
           ITK_LEGACY_REMOVE = OFF

Dashboard submitters should have:

           ITK_LEGACY_SILENT = ON
           ITK_LEGACY_REMOVE = OFF

Users who want to be one-step ahead, and want to be
forward compatible by making sure that they are not
using deprecated methods, should have

           ITK_LEGACY_SILENT = OFF
           ITK_LEGACY_REMOVE = ON

I have to admit that it sounds confusing, but this is the best
compromise we have been able to come up with for dealing with
the the conflicting balance of improving the toolkit and still
maintaining backward compatibility.

   Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated,