[Insight-users] Problems with Variance in CannyEdgeDetectionImageFilter

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Thu May 29 11:32:03 EDT 2008

I had a program which used larger values for the variance in the Canny
edge filter algorithm. As I am updating the program to a newer version
of the ITK library I had discovered that this is problematic with
changes made in this algorithm. My observations can be observed with
the Canny edge example program. With the following variance values I
get the following:

~1 : good results
~2-4: warning of "itkGaussianOperator.txx", line 54 kernel being
truncated. Results look plausible
~8+: the out put is an image full of nan (ugly!)

Looking at the CVS, and knowing I was using ITK version 2.8.1 or 3.0
before. I am really not sure where this problem came from. Perhaps
there was a change to DiscreteGaussianImageFilter?

Any idea's why this class broke how I was using it?

Also the method CannyEdgeDetectionImageFilter::SetMaximumError  has a
small mistake in it.

if (m_Variance[i] != v)

should be:

if (m_MaximumError[i] != v)

Thank,
Brad

Bradley Lowekamp
Management Systems Designers Contractor for
National Library of Medicine
blowekamp at mail.nih.gov