[Insight-users] crashes N-D Linear Time Exact Signed Euclidean Distance Transform

Nick Tustison ntustison at wustl.edu
Thu May 29 13:09:57 EDT 2008

Sorry Alex,

At this point I don't know what to tell you as I can't think of
anything in the class that would be compiler specific and I don't have
access to those compilers.  There is a bug for the class for which I
need to submit a fix but that would only affect certain input images
(not the ones I used for testing).

Nick

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Oleksandr Dzyubak <adzyubak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> Thanks for your quick response,
>
> Sorry for incorrectness in my previous email. I did use the program in a
> proper way
> but the error stays the same (see below). The compilers I am using gcc 4.2.3
> and 4.1.2 (Debian).
> Unfortunately at the moment I do not have a box with gcc 4.0.1 so I cannot
> test it.
> But as I said before when running gcc 3.4.6 (FreeBSD 6.3), I do not
> experience
> any problem and the code works fine.
>
> Alex
>
> *********** Error ***
>
> dzyubak at debian: /Images$ ./SignedMaurerDistanceMapImageFilterTest
> SquareBinary201.hdr test.hdr
> *** glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption: 0x0816ab90 ***
> Aborted
> dzyubak at debian: /Images$
>

> Nick Tustison wrote:
>>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> I haven't encountered the errors below although I wrote and tested the
>> classes on my macbook using gcc 4.0.1.  I know a number of other
>> people who have had success on a variety of platforms.   From the
>> error message that you provided below, it doesn't appear that you are
>> specifying an output image file name (which the test code expects).
>> Could that be the source of your difficulties?
>>
>> Nick
>>

>> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Oleksandr Dzyubak <adzyubak at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Dear ITKers,
>>>
>>> I tried to use N-D Linear Time Exact Signed Euclidean Distance Transform
>>> from IJ.
>>>
>>> http://insight-journal.org/midas/handle.php?handle=1926/171
>>>
>>> Compilation went fine and I got a brand new and very nice looking
>>> executable.
>>> However when I tried to run it on the example images provided in the
>>> distribution archive,
>>> the program keeps crashing with the memory corruption error ( see error
>>> below).
>>>
>>> Am I missing something?
>>> Have anybody tried that algorithm implementation?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Alex
>>>
>>> PS.
>>> Just read a note about a big change in gcc when go from 3.x to 4.x
>>> and did some preliminary tests.
>>>
>>> Debian Lenny gcc 4.2.3 -- compiles fine; test run crashes.
>>> Debian Etch   gcc 4.1.2 -- compiles fine; test run crashes.
>>> FreeBSD 6.3  gcc 3.4.6 -- compiles fine; test run works fine.
>>>
>>> In this case, was N-D Linear Time Exact Signed Euclidean Distance
>>> Transform
>>> written for some C++ flavour?

>>> dzyubak at debian: /Images$ ls
>>> binaryPhantom.hdr      peep0_seg01_out.img
>>> binaryPhantom.img      SignedMaurerDistanceMapImageFilterTest
>>> binaryPhantom_out.hdr  SquareBinary201.hdr
>>> binaryPhantom_out.img  SquareBinary201.img
>>> peep0_seg01.hdr        SquareBinary201_out.hdr
>>> peep0_seg01.img        SquareBinary201_out.img