[Insight-users] how to temparaly disable multithreading or limit the # of threads

pinpress sb_ji at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 17 16:42:53 EST 2008

Hi,

I built my ITK package with

         ITK_USE_REVIEW
         ITK_USE_OPTIMIZED_REGISTRATION_METHODS

on in CMake to take advantage of multithreading. However, when I tried to
run DeformableRegistration14.cxx (basically a BSpline registration program)
to register two MR images, it used all the CPUs and consumed ALL available
memory on my Linux computer and eventually caused the computer to be down.
When the above two options were OFF, the same program runs fine, although
only with 1 CPU.

It seems clear to me that for this program, I need to temporarily turn off
multithreading, or at least limit the # of threads that it spawns. My
question is, how to achieve this without having to re-build ITK package by
setting those option OFF?

Appreciate any input, as again, I failed to find any relevant info online.