[Insight-users] how to temparaly disable multithreading or limit the # of threads

pinpress sb_ji at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 17 18:42:24 EST 2008

Thanks, Bill!

It worked perfect. In addition, I was able to set the global # of threads to
other values (e.g., 2).

By the way, I noticed that by setting the # of threads to N, the program
(which was based on DeformableRegistration14.cxx) would allocate almost N
times memory of the amount when N=1 (not quite, but close) , and would
quickly exhaust all that's available.

In addition, I had a small test on the scalability. Here are some results of
the program (stripping most of the I/O):

# of threads             time
1                            4'23''
2                            3'56''
4                            5'5''

It appears that the scalability is poor!  I did not go beyond 4 threads, as
it may cause my computer to die.