[Insight-users] 3D island removal filters

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Nov 18 18:41:37 EST 2008

Hi Raghu,

You may want to use is the

itkVotingBinaryIterativeHoleFillingImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VotingBinaryIterativeHoleFillingImageFilter.html

By defining background and foreground values you can
make it behave as an island removal filter instead of
a hole filling filter (the dual operation).

Note that there is a faster (a lot faster) implementation
of this filter in the NAMIC Sandbox:
http://svn.na-mic.org/NAMICSandBox/trunk/VotingHoleFillFloodingImageFilter/Source/

At some point this filter will be posted to the Insight Journal
for inclusion in ITK.