[Insight-users] Vector Gradients and transform jacobians

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at m4x.org
Thu Nov 20 11:47:09 EST 2008

Hi Luke,

As far as I remember, there is no direct filter to compute the
"gradient" of a vector image. You may however try the following
function:
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VectorCentralDifferenceImageFunction.html
It computes the Jacobian of a vector image at a given index.

You may also check the following filter:
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1DisplacementFieldJacobianDeterminantFilter.html
It computes an image of the Jacobian determinant of a given
displacement field. It should be easy to modify to get the full
Jacobian if you need it.

Also note that if you use VectorCentralDifferenceImageFunction on
displacement field you need to add the identity matrix to get the
Jacobian of the corresponding transformation. See e.g. the comments
in:
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1DeformationFieldJacobianDeterminantFilter.html
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1DisplacementFieldJacobianDeterminantFilter.html

Tom