[Insight-users] External language support

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Nov 27 09:50:49 EST 2008

Le 27 nov. 08 à 15:11, Jordi Inglada a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I have read the ITK roadmap available here:
>
> <http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/ITK_Roadmap_2007_2008>
>
> And I would like to know which is the status of the work on the
> support
> of external languages.
>
> We are using WrapITK for our code which derives many classes from ITK.
> We have successfully built Python wrappers, but had some trouble
> building the Java ones because of the use of multiple inheritance. We
> would like also to add Ruby support in the future.
>
> The idea of coming back to the native Swig is very appealing, but
> before
> going further, we would like to know what's planned for WrapITK.

Hi Jordi,

That idea is still there for wrapitk, but I'm still lacking time to
work on it.

On your side, are you thinking to a pure swig approach without
wrapitk, or to wrapitk using the native swig?

The later one has made great progress last summer with the
contribution of Ali Tonddast: I'm using it with python for my daily
work now, and java, even if it is still a bit difficult to build, has
received even more improvements than python.

Please let me know if you're interested in working on wrapitk. I'm
ready to help has much as I can on that project. The various
contributions in the past have even proved that I generally spend more
time than I should on wrapitk when other contributors are working on
it ;-)

>  The link given on the wiki
> (http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=WrapITK-unstable;a=summary
> ) is broken, so some information is missing for us.

We (sadely) had some problems with darcs on windows, so the code has
moved to a subversion repository at

   http://code.google.com/p/wrapitk/source/checkout

Regards,

Gaëtan