[Insight-users] Load DICOM headers only

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 08:20:51 EDT 2008

'lo

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Edward Somer <edward.somer at kcl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Morning,
>
> Apologies if discussed already, new user etc.
>
> I want to quickly browse a directory containing many (hundreds) DICOM files.
> I don't want to load the image data, I just want the headers. Can I do this
> easily?

depends on what you call 'header' (no such thing in DICOM standard
AFAIK). itk::GDCMImageIO implement the public interface of the
ImageIO, so you only need to execute the information part
'ExecuteInformation', the Pixel Data element will not be loaded.

> Files may have two or three dimensions. Following on, can I do an
> 'edit in place' type update on image headers?

I do not understand 'edit in place'.
Everything is copied from the DICOM header into the itk::MetaDataDict.
then you can edit the MetaDataDict, but I do not know if this fits
your definition of 'in place'.

If you are looking for DICOM only operation, you should maybe consider
using directly gdcm (and/or dcmtk ?).

2cts
--
Mathieu