[Insight-users] ITK 3.10 : Turning ITK_IMAGE_BEHAVES_AS_ORIENTED_IMAGE = ON by default

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Oct 16 09:02:37 EDT 2008

In preparation for the release of ITK 3.10,

We are proposing to turn ON by default the CMake flag:

            ITK_IMAGE_BEHAVES_AS_ORIENTED_IMAGE

When this flag is ON, the itk::Image provides a behavior identical
to the itk::OrientedImage. Essentially taking the image direction
into account when converting Indices to Physical Points and back.

The itk::OrientedImage should be retained for backward compatibility,
despite of becoming redundant at this point.

The rational for turning this flag ON by default is that this is
the correct behavior to expect from a medical image, while ignoring
the direction when converting indices to points is actually a bug.

The buggy behavior will still be available as an option, to those
who require a backward compatible frame (e.g. applications that
have already worked around the previous bug). In those cases you
should simply turn the flag OFF, in order to get the old behavior.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Perhaps that