[Insight-users] OPEN ACCESS: Springer Science+Business Media : Acquires BioMedCentral

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Oct 22 10:05:17 EDT 2008

http://www.springer-sbm.com/index.php?id=291&backPID=132&L=0&tx_tnc_news=4970&cHash=b5a2aa41d8

"Earlier this month, BioMed Central was acquired by Springer
Science+Business Media, the world's second largest publisher of
scientific, technical and medical journals. Springer is absolutely
committed to maintaining BioMed Central's policy of full open access to
all research, and this acquisition is great news for open access,
demonstrating that it is both a financially viable publishing model and
an increasingly important part of mainstream scholarly publishing."

"Derk Haank, CEO of Springer Science+Business Media said: “This
acquisition reinforces the fact that we see open access publishing as a
sustainable part of STM publishing, and not an ideological crusade. We
have gained considerable positive experience since starting Springer
Open Choice in 2004, and BioMed Central’s activities are complementary
to what we are doing. Additionally, this acquisition strengthens
Springer’s position in the life sciences and biomedicine, and will allow
us to offer societies a greater range of publishing options.”