[Insight-users] problem with mutual information metric in 3d registration

Giorgos Pichis gpichis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 05:25:25 EDT 2008

Hello all,
I am trying to implement an 3d registration algorithm using
MutualInformationImageToImageMetric.
The problem is that it throws an exception:
" All the sample point mapped to outside of the moving image "

Details about my program:
1. I have done the same algorithm with MattesMutualInformation and works
fine. The only changes , are about the metric,
and the preprocessing step for the images (Normalization and Smoothing)
2. I am trying to do this algorithm with VectorRigid3D and Similarity3D
Transforms. In both cases Mattes works fine, but ViolaWells implementation
throws the same error. (I am using VectorRigid3DTransformOptimizer and
RegularStepGradientDescentOptimizer respectively)
3. The images I am using are from the BrainWeb Image Repository, and are MR
T1 and T2

Things I have tried but don't work:
1. Changing the initial maximum step length (values, 0.01, 0.1, 1, 2, 4...)
2. Changing Vector and Transform scales in the optimizer
3. Changing Image's Pixel Type (unsigned char / short,  or float)

Do you have any clue of what should I do?

Thank you for your time.