[Insight-users] Point Set Registration Question

Mathieu Coursolle mcoursolle at rogue-research.com
Mon Oct 27 11:53:41 EDT 2008

Hi ITK users,

I'd like to perform a point set registration to compute the affine
transform that maps from a 2D coordinate system to another.

In the past, I used itk::LandmarkBasedTransformInitializer which works
fine for rigid transforms. However, I now need a scaling factor
for each dimension.

In chapter 8 of the ITK user guide (p.480 in ITK 2.4 book), it is
said: "The first case can be solved with a closed form solution when
we are dealing with a Rigid or an Affine Transform."
According to the doxygen, only rigid transforms are supported for that
initialiser (http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1LandmarkBasedTransformInitializer.html
).

What would be the best way to perform a point set registration using 3
points or more in a 2D space, knowing the pairs of points?

Thanks!

Mathieu