[Insight-users] python and itk

Mario Ceresa mario.ceresa at torrescalla.it
Tue Oct 28 05:20:03 EDT 2008

Hello David,

> -Where can I read about the implementation details/philosophy of the python
> itk wrappers? -In general, is there a way to find the source code (C++ or
> python)
> for a give python function call? ctags don't seem to work well with the
> example python scripts.

Are you using WrapITK to generate the wrapping?

if so you can read the original WrapITK paper at
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/85

> -What sort of ITK functionality is provided through the python interface?

During compilation you can specify which functions you want to wrap.
Many functions are wrapped by default

> -What kind of debugger is typically used?

If you want to debug itk code after the binding you'll need to use gdb
on the python interpreter.
I find it easier to ensure the code works well from a c program before
doing the wrapping.

> -Can I access/change pixel values in an image from the python interface?

You can enable the wrapping of iterators from cmake advanced conf,

Hope this helps

Mario