[Insight-users] Speed: Is this the right way?

Koen Vermeer koen at vermeer.tv
Wed Oct 29 04:59:23 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 09:58 +1100, Richard Beare wrote:
> There has been quite a bit of work done on speeding up some kernel
> filters, including the morphology ones. Most of these are part of the
> review section, which isn't built by default, or available via the
> insight journal. They can make a very big difference in speed,
> especially as you increase the size of your kernel.

The kernel is rather small (5x5), at least for this test. I may have
larger ones for non-morphological filtering.

> Also, make sure that you are building in release mode.

I am. That is, I'm setting NDEBUG and I compile with -O. I guess that
qualifies as release mode, right?

> Note that in the code above you should do
> imout->DisconnectPipeline()
> before returning imout.

Thanks for the tip! One question, though: I cannot find any occurence of
DisconnectPipeLine() in the software guide. I assumed that would be the
best place to start with when learning ITK, but apparently not. Where
should I look for information like this?

>From the Doxygen docs, it seems like imout->DisconnectPipeline() kind of
undoes the 'imout = binaryDilate->GetOutput()'. Is this interpretation
correct?

Best,
Koen