[Insight-users] simultaneous access to a large number of images.

Luke Bloy luke.bloy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 08:28:38 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm beginning to plan an application which will need to access voxel
data from a large number of image volumes (>50).

What I would like to do is to use an iterator to step through all of the
images and perform my computation at each voxel. However i imagine that
I will quickly run into problems with available memory. Since all of my
images will be saved on disk, i'm wondering if there is a way to have
the fileReader or the image not load the entire image into memory?
obviously i'll pay a bit of a performance hit with all the file io but
it seems to be the best option assuming it exists.

I would also be open to any other suggestions that might work.

Thanks,

Luke