[Insight-users] Can't read Philips dicom data (C. A. Cois)

Todd Jensen todd.jensen at ieee.org
Tue Sep 16 21:22:56 EDT 2008

From: "C. A. Cois" <cacois.itk at gmail.com>

>I have a data disc with a dicom directory containing IM_###, PS_###,
>and XX_### files, where ### are integers. The pack-in philips reader
>can read and display the series, but ITK readers are unable to.  [...]
> I've heard rumblings
>about a new philips one file dicom format..could this be it?  Anyone
>have any ideas?

You may have an enhanced multiframe object. I've been successfully "unenhancing" these with David Clunie's dcuncat tool available with his Dicom3Tools distribution (http://www.dclunie.com/dicom3tools.html).

I used it as follows:

dcuncat -unenhance -of IM_###_ IM_###

The result is a set of files IM_###_1 to IM_###_n, one frame per file, which the ITK DICOM readers handle just fine. Kudos to David Clunie for providing this and just recently updating it to handle large files.

Regards,

Todd Jensen