[Insight-users] Advection in ThresholdLevelSetImageFilter

Luca Antiga luca.antiga at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 03:21:34 EDT 2008

Dear Dario,
  I must say I don't agree with you.
"Advection" means that the level set term is of type \grad P \cdot
\grad \phi,
where P is an advection potential, such as | \grad I |, I being the
image, as in
geodesic active contours.
The way Laplacian zero-crossing acts is instead through the
"propagation"
term, G | \grad \phi |, where G is a proper advection speed, which in
case of
Laplacian zero crossings is simply the value of the laplacian (which
is zero
at the gradient magnitude ridges).

So, from a "purpose" point of view you're right, the laplacian tends
to attract
the surface to the ridges of the gradient magnitude, like the
advection term
does. However, it doesn't do it by advecting the level set with a
vector field,
but by propagating the level set using the laplacian. That's why the
Laplacian
should stay where it is and not be moved to CalculateAdvectionImage as
you're suggesting.

Best regards

Luca