[Insight-users] Advection in ThresholdLevelSetImageFilter

Luca Antiga luca.antiga at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 10:04:30 EDT 2008

Dear Dário,
  you're right, if you build a vector image and you advect it, yes,
it should
be treated as an advection field. Be careful though: if you compute a
vector,
like a gradient vector, out of a Laplacian (if I understood your
point correctly),
you're going to rely on 3rd derivatives: noise is going to kill you
at that point.
Even the laplacian itself is very sensitive to noise: if you don't 1.
initialize
your level sets close to the expected edges and/or 2. adopt a smooth
kernel
to compute the derivatives, you're not going to get good results.
With 3rd derivatives, you're going to make things even more severe,
so that
you may end up smoothing your data too much for your level set to be
usable.
I'm not saying it won't work, but just so you know.

As to curvature, the \kappa is actually the formulation of the mean
curvature
of a level set. \kappa is computed in the ComputeCurvatureTerm method in
itk::LevelSetFunction. The actual level set change due to curvature
is computed as

m_CurvatureWeight * this->CurvatureSpeed(...) * this-
 >ComputeCurvatureTerm(...)

where the CurvatureSpeed is the Z you're looking for.

If you look at itkGeodesicActiveContourLevelSetFunction.h, you'll see
that CurvatureSpeed
is
   /** The curvature speed is same as the propagation speed. */
   virtual ScalarValueType CurvatureSpeed(const NeighborhoodType &
neighborhood,
                                          const FloatOffsetType &
offset, GlobalDataStruct *gd ) const
   { return PropagationSpeed( neighborhood, offset, gd ); }
so, basically, the smaller the speed, the smaller is the effect of
curvature, so as to
say, you regularize where the feature content is low, while you
regularize less close
to you real features (remember that propagation speed is low at
features, opposite
to the gradient magnitude).
And this is actually the opposite to what you're suggesting :-), but
it gives you an example
on how to derive a custom Function that does it the way you want it.

I hope I addressed your questions, but let me know.

Cheers

Luca

--
Luca Antiga, PhD
Head, Medical Imaging Unit,
email: antiga at marionegri.it
web: http://villacamozzi.marionegri.it/~luca
mail: Villa Camozzi, 24020, Ranica (BG), Italy
phone: +39 035 4535-381