[Insight-users] Metrics for assessment of segmentation result

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Sep 23 15:10:42 EDT 2008

Hi Jim,

The typical reference for segmentation evaluation is "Valmet":
http://midag.cs.unc.edu/pubs/papers/MICCAI01-gerig-valmet.pdf

You can get a binary download of the Valmet tool for free,
but unfortunately its source code is not available.        :-(

On the other hand,
All of the metrics described in the Valmet paper
are now implemented in ITK   :-)

You may want to look at:

A) Overlap metric:
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1KappaStatisticImageToImageMetric.html

    Note that when the images are aligned, this could be reimplemented
    to run a lot faster in an ImageCalculator.

B) Hausdorff Distance:
   Directed:
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1DirectedHausdorffDistanceImageFilter.html
   Symmetric:
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1HausdorffDistanceImageFilter.html

C) Mean Surface Distance:
   Directed:
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ContourDirectedMeanDistanceImageFilter.html
   Symmetric:
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ContourMeanDistanceImageFilter.html

Also, if you need to build concensus from multiple manual segmentations
you may be interested in the STAPLE method:
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1STAPLEImageFilter.html

   Enjoy Open Source !

      Luis