[Insight-users] Asf for information

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 05:12:44 EDT 2009

'lo

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 10:49 PM, kongdewen1 kong <kongdewen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am a graduate student. I want to know some information about ITK.
> 1.whether there are available image compression algorithms in the ITK/VTK
> software for medical images, and what algorithms are supported (e.g. JPEG,
> JPEG2000, 3D JPEG?)

JPEG & JPEG2000 are both supported in ITK. However JPEG2000 is not
directly available, only via the DICOM writer can you write J2K
encoded image. 3D JPEG should be available since openjpeg provide an
implementation for it, but no bindings are available AFAIK.
Other compression algorithm defined by the DICOM standard are
available: RLE, deflated (GZIP).

I cannot say anything about png or tiff internals.

> 2.Also for JPEG2000, there is a 2D version (code each slice) and a 3D
> version (code a 3D volume using 3D wavelet transform). which version does it
> support?

2D version is the only one currently used. I am planning on
integrating the 3D one... at some point :)

> Also, is there a program that implements JPEG2000 in ITK?

ITK uses openjpeg -> http://openjpeg.org

HTH
--
Mathieu