[Insight-users] Nifti vs Dicom orientation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Apr 8 14:40:10 EDT 2009

Hi Antoine,

Thanks for looking at the original image orientation.

It seems that the problem lies in the interpretation
of orientation in the Nii file...
or... it may be a bug in dcm2nii...

I would suggest to post the question about the assumed
orientation of the Nifti file format to the Nifti forum:

     http://nifti.nimh.nih.gov/board/list.php?f=1

Of course, we will be interested in learning about their
reply.

It may mean that we need to modify the NiftiImageIO
class in ITK...

---

On the other hand, please note that in practice you don't
need to use "dcm2nii" since you can achieve exactly the
same goal by runing the example:

     Insight/Examples/IO
        DicomSeriesReadImageWrite2.cxx

(reading DICOM and saving it as a nifti file).

Which should give you a consistent set of orientations.