[Insight-users] DICOM reader

Delphine Ribes delphine.ribes at epfl.ch
Tue Apr 21 04:52:18 EDT 2009

Dear itk users,

I've implemented a DICOM reader and I wanted to compare it with itk DICOM
reader.
The output of the DICOM reader I've implemented is an itk Image.

I have some MPRAGE saggital data. First I've realized that I was not reading my
data the same direction as itk.
Me from 1 to 160
itk from 160 to 1
Is it a convention?

In addition, when I write for example a .mhd file, and I read directly the
header.
The Tag : TransformMatrix is = to 0 0 -1 1 0 0 0 -1 0
or it should be = to TransformMatrix = 0 1 0 0 0 -1 -1 0 0 as for the itk DICOM
reader.

In "My" DICOM reader, I get the direction from the DICOM header tag :
0x0020,0x0037
For direction 0 and 1 and then I do a cross product to get direction 2.
I suppose there is something I miss understood concerning the image direction in
itk.
I should obtain the same as the itk dicom reader as output !

Do you have any idea?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Delphine