[Insight-users] Nifti vs Dicom orientation

Elena Faggiano elena.faggiano at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 09:06:02 EDT 2009

Hi Antoine,

probably I had the same problem with DICOM converted in NIFTI using MIPAV (
http://mipav.cit.nih.gov/).
I solved the problem flipping and shifting the NIFTI file:

int main( int argc, char ** argv )
{
 typedef short      PixelType;
 const   unsigned int        Dimension = 3;

 typedef itk::OrientedImage< PixelType, Dimension > ImageType;

 typedef itk::ImageFileReader< ImageType >  ReaderType;
 typedef itk::ImageFileWriter< ImageType >  WriterType;

 WriterType::Pointer writer = WriterType::New();

 const char * inputFilename  = argv[1];
 const char * outputFilename = argv[2];

reader->SetFileName( inputFilename  );
writer->SetFileName( outputFilename );

reader->Update();
reader->GetOutput()->Print(std::cout);

typedef itk::FlipImageFilter< ImageType> FlipType;
 FlipType::Pointer flip = FlipType::New();

FlipType::FlipAxesArrayType flipAxesSet;

 flipAxesSet[0] = 0;
 flipAxesSet[1] = -1;
 flipAxesSet[2] = 0;

 flip->SetFlipAxes(flipAxesSet);
 flip->FlipAboutOriginOff();
 flip->SetInput(reader->GetOutput());
 flip->Update();
 flip->GetOutput()->Print(std::cout);

ImageType::Pointer image = ImageType::New();
 image = flip->GetOutput();
 image->SetOrigin(reader->GetOutput()->GetOrigin());
 image->Print(std::cout);

 writer->SetInput(image);
}

In this way if I read the original DICOM with itk I obtain:

TransformMatrix = 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
Offset = -250 -250 -515.03
AnatomicalOrientation = RAI

The NIFTI image converted using MIPAV is:

TransformMatrix = 1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1
Offset = -250 -250 -515.03
AnatomicalOrientation = RPI

While the NIFTI image after flip and shif is:

TransformMatrix = 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
Offset = -250 -250 -515.03
AnatomicalOrientation = RAI

Also, if I use Paraview to see the images (after a conversion in .mhd
format) the original and the flipped and shifted one are consistent (are the
same) while the other (NIFTI from MIPAV) has a wrong position and
orientation.

I hope this could help you...

Elena

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/attachments/20090408/891c8f3c/attachment-0001.htm

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 23:29:09 -0400
> From: Geoff Topping <g_topping at hotmail.com>
> Subject: [Insight-users] ResampleImageFilter Producing Garbled Output
>        When    Image Size Changed
> To: <insight-users at itk.org>
>

> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to use ResampleImageFilter to resize, crop or expand the volume
of an image using ITK.  My input image is 128x128x95 voxels with spacings of
0.865759x0.865759x0.796, 16-bit signed integer Analyze75 format.

> When I use the following code (see full listing below for context) to set
the output image size and scaling, things work fine, and I get back an image
very similar to my input image (although stored as floats instead of signed
ints, and with the calibration factor ignored by the casting between
formats):

>    resampleFilter->SetSize(
 inputImage->GetLargestPossibleRegion().GetSize());
>    resampleFilter->SetOutputOrigin(        inputImage->GetOrigin());
>    resampleFilter->SetOutputSpacing(       inputImage->GetSpacing());
>
> When I switch to using hard coded image size and spacings (128x128x95 and
0.865759x0.865759x0.796), I also get an effectively identical output image:

>    double spacing[] = {0.865759, 0.865759, 0.796};
>    resampleFilter->SetOutputSpacing(spacing);
>
>    double origin[] = {0.0, 0.0, 0.0};
>    resampleFilter->SetOutputOrigin(origin);
>
>    ImageType::SizeType size = {128, 128, 95};
>    resampleFilter->SetSize(size);
>
> However, if I change the hard-coded image size, I get garbled output.
 Setting hard-coded size to 256x256x190, with or without dividing all the
spacings by 2.0 results in most, but not all, of the slices of the resulting
image being quite garbled, with apparent tilings of a few slices over and
over, occasional mirroring of a series of slices, or what looks like the
early frames of a high-speed camera observing an exploding object, instead
of the original image contents.  Examining the resulting images, I see four
copies of the (distorted) image in some of the transverse slices, tiled ul,
ur, ll, lr.  In other slice orientations I see two or four tiled copies in a
row.

> Any ideas what might be going wrong or how I can fix or debug this?
>
> Thanks,
> Geoff Topping
>

> My current code:
>

> The program takes two filenames from the command line: input image and
output image file name.  It reads the input image, applies an identity
transform while resampling, and outputs the resulting image.

> #include "itkVersorRigid3DTransform.h"
> #include "itkIdentityTransform.h"
>
> #include "itkNearestNeighborInterpolateImageFunction.h"
> #include "itkLinearInterpolateImageFunction.h"
>
> #include "itkImage.h"
> #include "itkImageFileReader.h"
> #include "itkImageFileWriter.h"
>
> #include "itkResampleImageFilter.h"
> #include "itkShiftScaleImageFilter.h"
>

> #include "vcl_cmath.h"
>
> namespace {
>    const unsigned int
 Dimension = 3;
>    typedef float
PixelType;
>    typedef itk::Image<PixelType, Dimension>
 ImageType;
>    typedef itk::ImageFileReader<ImageType>
ImageReaderType;
>    typedef itk::ImageFileWriter<ImageType>
ImageWriterType;

>    typedef itk::VersorRigid3DTransform<double>
RigidTransformType;
>    typedef itk::IdentityTransform<double, Dimension>
IdentityTransformType;
>    typedef IdentityTransformType
TransformType;

>    typedef itk::LinearInterpolateImageFunction<ImageType, double>
 LinearInterpolatorType;
>    typedef itk::NearestNeighborInterpolateImageFunction<
>                ImageType, double>
 NearestInterpolatorType;
>    typedef NearestInterpolatorType
InterpolatorType;

>    typedef itk::ResampleImageFilter<ImageType, ImageType>
 ResampleFilterType;
> }
>

> int main( int argc, char *argv[] ) {
>    if( argc < 2 ) {
>        std::cerr << "Missing Parameters " << std::endl;
>        std::cerr << "Usage: " << argv[0] << " fixedImageFile
movingImageFile outputImagefile" << std::endl;
>        return EXIT_FAILURE;
>    }
>

>    ImageReaderType::Pointer imageReader =          ImageReaderType::New();
>    imageReader->SetFileName(argv[1]);
>    imageReader->Update();
>

>    TransformType::Pointer transform =              TransformType::New();
>
>    InterpolatorType::Pointer interpolator =
 InterpolatorType::New();

>    ImageType::Pointer inputImage = imageReader->GetOutput();
>

>    ResampleFilterType::Pointer resampleFilter =
 ResampleFilterType::New();
>    resampleFilter->SetInput(               inputImage);
>    resampleFilter->SetTransform(           transform);
>    resampleFilter->SetInterpolator(        interpolator);
>    resampleFilter->SetDefaultPixelValue(   0);
>    resampleFilter->SetOutputDirection(     inputImage->GetDirection());
>

> #ifdef FROM_INPUT
>    resampleFilter->SetSize(
 inputImage->GetLargestPossibleRegion().GetSize());
>    resampleFilter->SetOutputOrigin(        inputImage->GetOrigin());
>    resampleFilter->SetOutputSpacing(       inputImage->GetSpacing());
> #endif
>
> #ifdef PRINT_INPUT_STUFF
>    const ImageType::SpacingType& inputImageSpacing =
inputImage->GetSpacing();

http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/attachments/20090408/b8f41c60/attachment.htm