[Insight-users] level set reinitialization after having segmented object

Amardeep Singh amar.singh at gmx.de
Thu Apr 30 15:27:24 EDT 2009

Dear Insight-Users

I have used the geodesic active contour to segment an object. This gives
me a level set as a result, of course.
Now, I would like to reinitialize this level set, so that the 0
isocontour is preserved and the distances map is valid on the
whole image (not only between 4 and -4). So my question is, what would
be the best approach to achieve this. From
searching the mailing list, I found the
"itkReinitializeLevelSetImageFilter". However, I am wondering if it is
the correct way to apply it to the resulting level set of the level set
filter directly. Of course, one could binarize the image and then
recalculate the distance transform with ITK (Danielsson or Maurer
distance transform). However, I would loose some accuracy, wouldn't I?
Or is there another way that might be even more exact?
Furthermore, the geodesic active contour is derived from
"itkSparseFieldLevelSetimageFilter".
Does this mean that in my final level set only the voxels adjacent to
the 0 isosurface represent correct distance values?

Thanks a lot for any hints in advance!

Best regards
Amar