[Insight-users] providing alternate image store

Neal Sidhwaney nealsid at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 22:47:57 EDT 2009

Hi,
I'd like to use ITK to process DICOM images.    I've got the toolkit
building and played around with the DICOM samples to analyze some image
series and it's very well documented and I had little to no issues getting
up and running.

However, my eventual scenarios involve DICOM images are not stored on disk,
but in a custom data store.  For conversational purposes, assume it's a SQL
Database and they are stored as BLOBS(although it's really not, but the
constraints of not being able to use streams or an OS I/O api is still
there).  I'd like to avoid having to do unnecessary reads & writes to the
filesystem in order to pass ifstreams or filenames to the ITK API.

I thought I could accomplish this using a subclass of itkGDCMImageIOthat
leveraged the same helper classes that itkGDCMImageIO does.  However, the
itkGDCMImageIO class calls into the gdcm library for processing DICOM
images.  At least in this case, it does not pass pointers, but filenames
around.  I am not sure if subclassing the GDCM library is the way to go
here.

Can anyone recommend some pointers on what the best way to accomplish this
is? If it's been discussed recently, sorry - I dug around the archives and
the code quite a bit before coming to the mailing list.

Thank you!

Neal