[Insight-users] From a binary image over vtk to blender

Frederic Perez fredericpcx at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 12:49:13 EDT 2009

Hello Lynx,

How can I get a nice render from blender of my watershed labeled 3D blobs?
> I found a python script that allows to import VTK poly data
> (VTKBlender.PolyDataMapperToBlender() at
> http://www.ualberta.ca/CNS/RESEARCH/Vis/VTKBlender/)
> and  I found itk::BinaryMask3DMeshSource which seems to create a surface
> for a
> label. So I could iterate over all labels and create a mesh for each blob.
> Now I'm stuck on how to get these itk-meshes over vtk to blender?
> I couldn't find any examples in the itk or vtk  docs.  Has  anyone  done
>  this
> before?

I regret I know nothing about VTKBlender, but a few years ago I tackled a
similar problem, and I took the time to write about it in my now possibly
obsolete web pages. You might still consider the section "Importing VTK
Isosurfaces" in http://imagingshots.com/ResearchInterest/onBlender.html (The
"trick" was using STL files.) Hope it helps.

Good luck,

Frederic Perez