[Insight-users] When to set image spacing?

David Doria daviddoria+itk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 20:36:19 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> The settings of Origin, Spacing and Direction are independent
> of the memory allocation process. You could do it after or before.
>

> There shouldn't be any difference between an image for which
> you assigned the spacing before Allocate() and the one for which
> you assigned the spacing after Allocate().
>

> Something else should be going on here...
>

> Have you verified the values of spacing by opening the .vtk
> files with a text editor ?
>
> BTW: I couldn't get to the two links that you posted.
>

>      Regards,
>

>              Luis

Ah sorry, I goofed and moved the files on my webserver. The files are here:
http://www.rpi.edu/~doriad/ITK_List/SetImageSpacing/

As a side note - is there a way to have a user accessible web space for
things like this? It seems like it would be a good idea if two years later
when someone reads a post the files still be available, rather than people
(like myself) forgetting to leave files where they will be available, or
student accounts disappearing upon graduation, or other web hosting services
dying, etc. Something like http://www.itk.org/ListFiles - maybe the files
can even have a little link of which list message they belong to or
something? Just a thought...

Back to the problem -

good.cpp produces good.vtk
bad.cpp produces bad.vtk

The only difference (at least that I intended and can detect) is the
placement of setting the image spacing. I examined the ascii header of the
vtk files and they look to be the same, but the content of the files is
binary so I can't check it manually. In paraview the two files look very
different though.

Thanks,

David