[Insight-users] Making 2 images have same histogram

Koen Vermeer koen at vermeer.tv
Mon Aug 10 16:36:31 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 16:13 -0400, Michael Jackson wrote:
>    What I am trying to accomplish is the following:  I have a bunch of
> images taken with an optical microscope. The brightness/contrast for
> each of the images are slightly different so I need to adjust all the
> images so that each phase of the material is lit the same way. I am
> assuming a histogram equalization would do that but after looking at
> the documentation and examples and testing program I am not convinced
> I am really using it correctly.

Histogram equalization is not what you're after: It just makes sure that
the cumulative histogram looks like a straight line (albeit jagged).

What you're looking for is histogram matching (try entering that some
search engine). I have no idea if it's available in ITK. But I guess
it's not too hard to implement yourself by calculating both histograms,
defining a LUT, and applying that to the image.

Best,
Koen