[Insight-users] itkScalarChanAndVeseSparseLevelSetImageFilter - RMS Change

Kishore Mosaliganti kishoreraom at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 10:07:17 EDT 2009

Hi Eleni,

I am back at work :).

Ok, we made several corrections to the code in the past two months and you
can download the latest CVS version. Many thanks for your feedback on using
the code. It helped us identify bugs and clean up the code further.

Your question was regarding the RMS Error values computed by the Dense and
Sparse filters on the same image producing different values.

The dense filter works on the levelset function defined on the whole image
domain. As a result, the RMS values are computed on changes in the function
everywhere.

The sparse filter works only locally to the 0 level-set (hence the name
sparse). The RMS values look at a small band of pixels. Therefore, the
values in this case are at a different range.

Irrespective, the RMS values are used for indicating the convergence of the
evolution. Is there any reason why you want them to be at the same range ?

Best,
Kishore